Apple consumers may anticipate an abundance of fascinating new features and enhancements to improve their overall experience with the introduction of iOS 17.4 Beta. With the most recent update, iOS users can now unlock new features and fully use the power of their devices, bringing a new wave of innovation to the platform. This post will examine the main features of iOS 17.4 Beta and show you how they may completely change the way you use Apple products.
iOS 17.4 Beta: What’s New?
Added New Emoji
New emoji characters have been added to iOS 17.4 beta, including a broken chain, an edible brown mushroom, a phoenix, a shaken head (as in “yes”), and a shaken head (as in “no”).
Stolen Device Protection
You can now choose whether to always or just activate a security delay when travelling from familiar places in the Settings app’s Stolen Device Protection section.
“Messaging with Siri” is the new name for the Automatically Send Messages feature under Siri & Search. You may configure Siri to read incoming messages in a variety of languages, including Spanish, French, German, Chinese, and many more. However, the only thing that changed is message playback; Siri still listens in and reacts in the original language.
tvOS 17.4 and iOS 17.4 Beta now support SharePlay music control on the Apple TV and HomePod. Family members and friends of the user, if the user has given permission, can use this function to manage the music that is playing on a HomePod or an Apple TV. An Apple Music membership is required for the owner of the HomePod or Apple TV, although SharePlay access holders can use Apple Music to play music without a subscription.
To use SharePlay, connect to a HomePod or Apple TV by scanning a QR code on the device owner’s iPhone (for HomePod) or Apple TV. Users have the option of connecting remotely or in person to a device.
Changes in the Apple TV App
The Apple TV app’s “How to Watch” feature, which displays the locations of films and TV episodes to watch, now uses a list interface instead of a card interface.
Podcasts and Music
Apple Music and Podcasts’ “Listen Now” tabs have been rebranded as “Home.”
Added Transcripts in Podcast
Transcripts are now available in the Podcasts app; these function similarly to lyrics in the Apple Music app. Moreover, when collapsed, podcasts use the Apple Music Now Playing bar.
With iOS 17.4 Beta, banks and third-party payment applications may access the iPhone’s NFC chip and provide contactless payments straight from the device, eliminating the need for Apple Pay or the Wallet app inside the EU. Users can designate a default contactless payment provider that will activate at tap-to-pay terminals or upon double tapping the iPhone’s Side button.
The Settings app in the EU can designate a default contactless payment provider. Information about all applications that have applied for and been approved for contactless payment access is also available in this area. Additionally, EU users can alter the iPhone’s default wallet app.
Revamped Safari Browser
Apple has made Safari’s URL/search bar broader than it was previously.
Updates for Third-Party Browsers
EU users may select a different default browser from a list of the most widely used iOS browsers when they launch Safari after updating to iOS 17.4. Additionally, Apple is not restricting browsers like Chrome to the WebKit engine and is permitting other browser engines.
CarPlay Support: Apple’s Solution for Car
Eight new CarPlay applications are mentioned in the iOS 17.4 beta code, and the next-generation CarPlay is scheduled to launch in the United States later in 2024.
- Trips: Numerous driving-related metrics, such as the vehicle’s average speed, energy or fuel economy, total time spent and distance travelled on a journey, and more, will be available with this app.
- Media: This software will provide users access to SiriusXM and other media alternatives, as well as FM and AM radio station controls within CarPlay. It’s unclear if SiriusXM will continue to only broadcast content via the internet or provide satellite connectivity. A variety of musical genres, including Top 40 and rock, will be available for users to choose from.
- Climate: With the use of this app, you can access a car’s CarPlay climate controls and change the A/C or heating system’s temperature, the fan speed, the heated seats and steering wheel, and more.
- Closures: It could show warning symbols for the car as well as information on which doors are open on the car.
- Tire Pressure: The app will indicate the air pressure in each tyre on the car and send alerts for low, high, and flat tyres.
- Car Camera: The rearview camera feed from the car will be seen on this app.
- Charge: This app will show the battery level, charging status, amount of time left till the battery is fully charged, and other information for electric vehicles.
A screenshot seen in the iOS 17.4 beta indicates that, when the driver turns off the car, CarPlay probably will also present a “Goodbye” screen.
Live Activity feature for Stopwatch
The Stopwatch feature on the iPhone now has a Live Activity feature, thanks to iOS 17.4 Beta. The Stopwatch now appears in the Dynamic Island and on the Lock Screen when accessed via the Clock app. Additionally, the stopwatch may be cleared or paused, and a new lap can be initiated using the controls.
Added Clock Widget
You may add the new City Digital Clock widget to your lock screen or home screen.
Alternative Payment Methods
Apple is letting developers utilise different payment methods in their apps; in-app purchases are no longer necessary. Developers will receive a three per cent reduction in their App Store costs if they distribute their apps via the App Store and choose another payment method. Beyond the fixed 0.50 euro price per user, developers that distribute through alternative applications and also utilise an alternate payment method will not be charged by Apple.
With alternative payments, a developer may opt to have a user pay by linking to their website or by making purchases for digital products and services directly within an app. Apple is mandating that developers make use of a reputable, safe payment processor.
Upgraded Gaming App
The global App Store now permits streaming game applications, so services like Nvidia GeForce NOW and Xbox Cloud Gaming may be made available as stand-alone iPhone and iPad apps. Previously, Apple only approved web-based cloud gaming services; however, the company has recently approved specialised applications that enable users to stream games from servers. The in-app purchase mechanism may now be used for chatbots, plug-ins, mini-apps, and mini-games.
European Union Changes
Apple complied with the Digital Markets Act by making significant modifications to the App Store and app operations in the European Union. iOS 17.4 Beta has these modifications, although they are only available in EU member states.
Added New Features in the App Store
You may now view an Apple ID’s entire purchase history using the App Store’s Purchase feature. The interface is the same for seeing the purchase details for any Apple ID, and it covers purchases of TV shows and films, music, subscriptions, and apps. Eventually, there will be a new “Apps” area, but the apps are still listed there.
New Terms for the App Store and Related App Stores
Apple has implemented a new cost structure to accompany this shift, and app developers in the EU are free to choose to offer other app stores or allow users to install their apps through alternate shops. Developers have the option to adopt a new business structure that covers both apps released through the App Store and apps downloaded through unofficial channels.
With the new scheme, app makers will have to pay a regular annual price of 0.50 euros per user; however, the first million installations will be provided at no cost. There will be no commission for apps that are distributed through other app stores. Applications made available via the App Store will be compensated with a fee of only 17 per cent, or 10 per cent for users with subscriptions longer than a year or for those in the small business programme.
Developers have the option to use the current system with the same 15–30 per cent commission that is offered globally, or they can choose not to participate in the new one. To assist developers in estimating costs associated with the current configuration, the new setup, the new setup utilising other app stores, and the new setup utilising the App Store, Apple has provided a fee calculator.
If desired, users have the option to make their favourite other app shop the default app store on their smartphone. The Settings app has a setting for this that EU users will notice. This functionality is being made possible in the EU by a plethora of improvements to various system messages. For instance, when a programme from an alternate app store has malware, users in the EU will receive a pop-up warning, and additional panels have been added for validating the information from an alternative app.
How do I get iOS 17.4 Beta?
On your iPhone, installing the iOS 17.4 beta is a simple procedure. To experience the newest additions and enhancements, follow these steps:
- Backup your Data: Before installing any beta software, it is crucial to back up your device to ensure you don’t lose any important data. Use iCloud or iTunes to create a backup of your iPhone.
- Enroll in the Apple Beta Software Program: Visit Apple’s official Beta Software Program website and sign in with your Apple ID. Enroll your iPhone in the program by following the on-screen instructions.
- Download the Beta Profile: Once enrolled, navigate to the “iOS” section and download the iOS 17.4 beta profile. This profile will enable your device to receive beta updates.
- Install the Beta Profile: After downloading the beta profile, go to the “Settings” app on your iPhone. Tap on “Profile Downloaded” and follow the prompts to install the beta profile.
- Check for Updates: Once the profile is installed, go to “Settings” > “General” > “Software Update.” Your iPhone will now check for the latest iOS 17.4 beta update. If available, tap “Download and Install” to begin the installation process.
- Enjoy the New Features: After the installation is complete, your iPhone will be running iOS 17.4 beta. Take some time to explore the new features and enhancements and make the most of your upgraded operating system.
Apple is most likely to release the iOS 17.4 stable version in the first week of next month.
You might also like
More from iOS
Epic Games, the creator of Fortnite, has announced that they are set to relaunch the Epic Games Store on iOS …
Apple iPhone 16 Series Could Boast Five Models: Leaked Details Revealing Pricing and Features Online
In the world of technology innovation, excitement grows as reports about Apple's next move in the smartphone sector surface. With …
iOS 17.4, coming next month, is going to be a huge upgrade, especially for those living in the European Union …