Google made a blog post on February 5, announcing the 15th anniversary of Google Maps. Maps was launched back in 2005 before Android or IOS smartphones even existed. During these years Google Maps has undergone many new changes and updates, and to celebrate the 15th anniversary a new update has been released with new design and a new logo.
The update has been released for both Android and IOS, and you can install it now by heading over to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. To name a few changes, the Maps app now has five main tabs: Explore, Commute, Saved, Contribute, and Updates.
- Explore: You can find information, ratings, reviews, etc. for around 200 million places around the world in the Explore tab. So whether you’re looking for a coffee shop near you or your favorite brand’s store, Maps will always be there to help.
- Commute: The commute tab helps you find the best route for your destination. It also shows real-time traffic updates, time to reach the location, or some alternative routes.
- Saved: You can save your favorite places and they appear under this tab. You also get recommendations for a place for your next trip based on the places where you’ve already been to.
- Contribute: Is your favorite shop near you missing from Google Maps? You can contribute and add any place or a location like roads, addresses, photos, or any other missing places to Google Maps. By doing so you also help other people to explore new places.
- Updates: This tab provides a list of popular places near you chosen by some local experts and publishers. You can also directly chat with the business to ask some questions.
Insights and information based on the feedback and usage of past users have also been added. A few of them include:
- Temperature: You can check the temperature of the place you’re willing to visit.
- Accessibility: Some features for assistance are present which help in knowing various things like additional support, accessible entrances, etc.
- Women’s Section: This tab is for women where one can come to know about things like designated women’s sections or carriages.
- Security Onboard: You can also check the information about any security present like a security guard, CCTV cameras, or some helplines.
Lastly, Google also announced that Live View will be introduced in more locations around the world. Live View uses Google’s street view, machine learning, and sensors present inside the phone to show the surroundings overlaid by directions to reach your destination.
You might also like
More from Android
Looks like we won’t have to wait for long for Android 11 to arrive. Usually, Google releases its first Developer’s …
One thing that you must have noticed in the US markets is that there is a lot of importance given …
One of the biggest setbacks in the mobile industry took place earlier this month as the GSMA announced that it …